View details allows you to see some basic information about an individual document or folder. The pane opens on the right side of the window.
- Click on the desired document.
- Then right click on the document. You also can click on the three dots in the task bar above the list of documents.
- Click the View details item.
In the pane there are two tabs: Details and Activity.
This tab lists the following information:
- Type: The types include the following:
- Google Docs
- Google Sheets
- Google Slides
- Google Drive Folder
- OpenOffice Writer
- Many other document types
- Size: This is the size of the document in kilobytes. Bytes are in parentheses.
- Storage used: This is typically the same as Size.
- Location: This tells what folder the document or folder is immediately located in.
- Owner: This gives the name of the person who created the document. If it is you, the word in this field will be “Me.”
- Modified: This gives the date the document was last modified and the user who last modified it.
- Opened: This gives the date the document was opened and the user who opened it.
- Created: This gives the date the document was created and by what application. If you created a document with a desktop application, such as Microsoft Word, and saved it to your Google Drive folder, the creating application will be listed as Google Drive.
NOTE: Some people use a third-party application as their syncing application rather than Google Drive, such as Insync. The screenshot above has Insync as the creating application.
- Add a description: The words “Add a description” are the words used when there is no description. Click the edit button, the pencil. Then type the desired description. Press Return or Enter on your keyboard.
This tab shows the major events in the life of the document. This includes Creating the document, editing the document, added an item to a folder.