While LibreOffice has been designed to work on multiple operating systems natively, most of its users run the office suite on Windows. The procedure to install LibreOffice on Windows, Mac, and Linux distros differs.
This page describes the various ways the suite can be installed and run on Windows.
- It can be downloaded from libreoffice.org , the Website for the suite.
- It can be installed from the Windows store in Windows 10.
- There is also a way to install the suite on a USB drive or external hard drive and run it on different computers.
This page covers installing from the LibreOffice Website and versions from the store.
To learn about the version that can be installed on a USB drive, click here.
Visit the download page from a Windows computer. The two latest versions can be downloaded.
One is the latest stable release the other is the newest, referred to as fresh. The Website will automatically show one of the two Windows (32-bit or 64-bit) choices in the drop-down menus for each version. Clicking the menus reveals other choices.
- Click the drop-down menu for the desired version and then click Windows (32-bit) or Windows (64-bit), if you need a different instance than the one that appears.
- Click the Download button for the desired version
Different Web browsers have different ways of downloading the MSI file. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
The MSI will appear in a bar at the bottom of the browser window. The file will be downloaded to the folder set in Chrome’s preferences for downloads.
If you are running Windows as a virtual machine on another operating system, a Save As dialog may appear, allowing you to choose a directory where to download the MSI.
Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer
A dialog appears at the bottom of the of window with the following choices: Run, Save, and Cancel.
- Run saves the MSI in the download folder set in Edge’s or Internet Explorer’s preferences. When the download is complete, the Installation Wizard begins.
- Save stores the MSI in the download folder set in Edge’s or Internet Explorer’s preferences.
- Save as launches a dialog that allows you to rename the file and choose a directory where to store it.
- Save and run stores the MSI file in the download folder set in Edge’s or Internet Explorer’s preferences. Then it runs the Installation Wizard.
- Cancel closes the dialog. The download doesn’t begin.
A dialog appears with Save File or Cancel. Click Save File. LibreOffice will be downloaded to the Downloads folder set through Firefox’s preferences.
For Edge and Explorer, the Run option launches the Installation Wizard automatically. If you did not click Run or you used a different browser
- Go to the MSI file in the directory where it is stored.
- Double click it to launch. You also right-click it, then click install.
This starts the wizard.
Welcome to the Installation Wizard
The first dialog gives an introduction to the suite and the installation process. It gives the version number and a link to the Document Foundation’s Website.
Click the Next button.
This page lists two types of installations: Typical and Custom.:
- Typical will install the suite with the dictionaries and user-interface languages that match your Windows’ settings and default components.
- Custom allows you to select which components and languages are to be installed.
Selecting Typical and clicking Next will take you to the last page: Ready to Install the Program.
Website users click here to subscribe and learn more about a custom installation.
Ready to Install the Program
This dialog page is the last page in the setup process. There are two checkboxes. The first one will create a shortcut icon on the desktop.
A check in the second one will launch LibreOffice each time Windows goes through its boot process.
You will be asked to confirm the installation. Click OK.
The setup process will start. When it is done, a complete screen appears. Click the Finish button.
In addition to being a download from the LibreOffice Website, the office suite is also in the Microsoft Store, where it can be installed for a fee. There are several choices. Some of them come with technical support.
The Store offers an alternative way to access the suite. The version in the store also will be automatically updated.