Portable Apps are applications that can be installed on a USB drive, external hard drive, or other type of media and taken from computer to computer and used. They are typically designed for Windows and do not require administrator rights to use them.
The latest version of LibreOffice are available in the portable format at the Portable Apps Website. Here are the steps to downloading from this page:
- Insert the desired USB drive or other type of media.
- Set the download location of your browser to the desired media.
- Click either of the Download From Publisher on the Web page. The top one will download the standard version. The bottom one is for the all version.
- Standard will include support for English (US and GB), Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese (Brazilian and Portugal), Russian, and Spanish.
- All will have support for the 115 languages that LibreOffice supports.
- Go to the directory where the download is located.
- Double click on the located.
This launches the installer. This is a dialog for LibreOffice Portable.
- Click the drop-down menu to choose the desired language, if it is not already selected.
- Click the OK button to launch the PortableApps.com Installer.
This is the introduction to the installation process. Click the Next button.
This page in the dialog has two checkboxes. The first one, LibreOffice Portable (Multilingual-Standard), cannot be deselected.
A check in the second one means that only one additional language and English will be part of the installation. These will be the two languages available for the user interface.
This is the language that was set in the LibreOffice Portable dialog that was launched when you click the downloaded file.
Choose Install Location
In this page choose where you want to install the application.
- Click the browse button button to launch a dialog that allows you to choose a folder or create a new one.
- Click the arrows to the left of folders to see the sub-folders in them.
- Click Make New Folder to create a new folder in the selected directory. You will need to right-click on it to rename it or delete it.
- Click the desired folder to select it.
- Click OK when you are done.
The folder where the applications will be stored is called LibreOfficePortable by default. It can be typed over.
Click the Install button. The applications will be installed on the selected media and folder.